Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is Ignorance an Excuse?

In reading Benito Cereno, my initial reaction to Capt. Delano's character was that he was simply of curious nature; it seemed as though his being so intent on investigating the San Dominick was his own attempt to satisfy some sort of inquisitive thirst that he felt. Today's in-class discussion helped me see him for the naive sailor that I believe Melville wrote him to be. One thing that was touched on was his seemingly lack of experience with not only being a captain of a ship, but also with the world around him in general. I felt as though this lack of experience expanded to his perception and treatment of the slaves on the stranger ship.

I believe that Delano's initial perception of what a slave should be or how a slave should act had been shaped by things he had read or heard from other people -- possibly his family or some sailor buddies of his. Upon boarding the San Dominick, he was immediately shocked by the number of unshackled, above-deck black passengers he saw. I felt that his shock turned to fear as he half expected to be harmed by one of them, more than likely having heard that blacks were savage creatures. While he does make some attempts to see slaves as more than mere objects, his naive perceptions cannot help but make their way through his thoughts. For example, while me makes note that the slave woman is caring and gentle with her child, he is also surprised by this fact. While he is envious of Don Benito for having such a confidant in Babo, he is put off that a slave would have the gall to speak up the way he does.

Such actions and thoughts beg a couple of questions for me. The first was raised in class today; I believe it was Nan who posed it: What was Melville's intent in writing this book? Was he trying to convey a problem with slavery that the middle- and upper middle-class of white Anericans were yet naive to? Was he expressing his greivances with the white perception of black slaves? Or was he revealing his true negative feelings toward slaves? The second question, which is really the point of my post, is does naivete excuse condoning injustice? Does accepting an institution for what it is OK so long as you don't take part in it yourself?

I would say 'no', however I am thinking with a 21st Century mindset and not with that of a 19th Century ship captain. Does anyone else have any insight to any of my questions?

1 comment:

  1. This post raises good questions. First, I think Melville's intent in writing this book is mostly unclear but this is the conclusion I have come to. Honestly, I do not think that Melville agrees with the institution of slavery but he understands why others thought it was needed. By only showing the viewpoints of Cereno and Delano, he is expressing Cereno's helplessness and Delano's ignorance. I think he is depicting these men as a good people and the slaves as barbaric. Some readers (in that time period) might finish the book thinking, how can these slaves take advantage of such good innocent men, hence proving his point.
    For your second question, I believe that during that time period as long as you did not participate in the institution of slavery then they thought everything was OK.Just because they do not believe it was not right doesn't men that they will take the initiative to stop it. But as you said, I would think no but I am thinking with the mindset of today and not 1800s.

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete