Thursday, May 13, 2010

Can the Fight for Freedom Be Wrong?

As I have before mentioned, I relate most readings or experiences in the world to films. While I was reading Benito Cereno and Heroic Slave, I kept thinking of one film in general that I'm sure everyone has at least heard about, 300. If you have not seen it I advise you to watch but it is the story of the 300 Spartans fighting to death against the great Persian Army. As a movie viewer, I enjoy the action and gore of the movie. As a woman, I rather enjoy the Spartans physical structure shown through out the movie. Yet, that is beside the point here. I saw how the fight for freedom in each work is brutal and not something that is done cleanly or diplomatically. After all freedom isn't free at all. It does come from the blood and lives of men and women fighting for their freedom. Americans can empathize with this point by what was done in the American Revolution. We cheer and celebrate on Independence Day with great fun. We automatically feel any fight for freedom should be shown in a light that is both great and wonderful. Though the scenes may be graphic, the feeling we receive after reading or hearing of such a tale is one of happiness. Yet, while reading Benito Cereno I didn't feel pride in a fight for freedom, I felt as if those slaves were cruel and were almost monsters. I understand slavery is monstrous but it was if Melville wanted to show this revolt was evil and they deserved the deaths they were granted in the end. Contrasting Melville's point of view is Douglas' Heroic Slave. The same ending occurs with a revolt on a ship, but I was more willing to cheer for Madison Washington than Babo. Babo is almost seen as an evil character as someone manipulative; we feel no sympathy for him as we do for Madison. Which brings me to the question can the fight for freedom be wrong? Is there certain qualifications needed for an overthrowing of power be right? According to Melville, not all freedom fighters are worth sympathy or even for the freedom they fight so hard to obtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment