Monday, May 17, 2010

I have a new respect for Emily Dickinson

I didn't want to take up class time today to mention this, but after discussing the two versions of the poem today, I really have a new respect for Dickinson's work. As Kelly mentioned as class began, I didn't get a whole lot of Dickinson in high school. And as I learned today, what I did have did little to justify her writing's significance. I know that we only talked about one poem, but I was really kind of amazed by how good it was once we talked about it. Maybe I'm the only one, but when I read it the first time, I felt like I was going to show up and be the dumb kid in class. I mean, I thought I got it, but really wasn't sure. Now the poem is extremely clear. With that as an example, I think I'll be able to have a much better understanding, and respect, for Dickinson's poems going forward.

3 comments:

  1. I found humor in reading your post, Brandon, as I felt as though “I” would be the “dumb kid in class!” After today’s discussion regarding the general comprehension of poetry, I think we can all feel comfort in agreement that poetry is extremely complex and usually can be interpreted in myriad ways. In reiteration of Kelly’s point over the last couple of days, this complexity is exactly why it is so important to decipher a poem’s literal meaning first and foremost, line by line, and then look beyond to possible interpretations. As mentioned in class today, consideration of the author’s background, and landscape of the era in which the piece was written (i.e., socially, economically, politically, religiously), can often be crucial to understanding context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when it comes to Dickinson we're all the "dumb" kids in class because her poems are so de-familiarizing the first time you read them. But that state of confusion can be pleasurable--it's not something we get to experience everyday given that we're are such creatures of habit. Plus, it makes her poems the perfect things to work through in a group because what one of us finds completely mystifying makes perfect sense to someone else. Thanks for putting the effort in to make our discussions so productive, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what your saying. I was really scared when we were moving into the poetry section, especially when I saw Emily Dickinson was on the list! However, after reading her poetry, I was satisfied and relieved. I think the problem with poetry is that people think that their has to be one certain meaning and that you must find that meaning out. However, poetry is all about individuals interpretation. I always thought that Dickinson's poetry was mostly concerned with "happy things" so I was VERY surprised when we read her poetry on the Civil War. It was very dark and dreary. It's fascinating to see a poet write from both ends of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete