Wednesday, May 26, 2010

For me, the Education of Henry Adams has been quite the journey - the first reading assignment we had was painful (no offense), but as we have proceed further into the autobiography, it has become more clear that his intentions were to reveal the different stages and experiences of his life, and his "education" is way of saying "life events." He also used humor in the book that we can now appreciate more that wasn't too noticeable earlier on. The book is unlike anything I've ever read because of the perspective of his autobiography. As we discussed in class, he doesn't use the first person point of view, rather he uses third person to get his point across. This, we concluded, was to retract himself from the situations and this outlook makes his opinions seem not so bias. It also makes it seem more like a story than an autobiography - this also makes it seem like he's telling the story about different people. For example, he calls himself "Henry," "The boy," "the Student," etc, so it creates a different feeling, like a tale, rather than a timeline of events. This completely alters the perspective because it makes the reader not feel as if they are reading a boring summary of someone's life, rather there is a plot. Overall, I've gained more respect /enjoyed it more the further we get into it.

1 comment:

  1. Scottie, I am glad that you enjoyed the book. It's funny because I had the opposite effect- I started the book, really enjoying it and ending up completely baffled and confused, and seriously looking forward to Thursday! However, you do make some good points and I am glad we discussed them in class- I was under the impression that when he discussed his education- there was going to be some big ah-hah moment at the end. I knew it didn't have to do with the education we read about in the first three chapters, but I was looking forward to more. I was slightly dissapointed when their wasn't a clear cute answer to what he thought was his education. However, you make a good point, and the point that I think he is subtly expressing: life itself is the education as well as the way we look and perceive it.

    ReplyDelete