Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Heroic Slave

I enjoyed our discussion yesterday on The Heroic Slave. One of the aspects we spoke about briefly in class today was the varying definition of freedom. Throughout parts one and two it becomes clear that Madison's purpose for running to Canada is that he wants his freedom. Yet once his goal is achieved he was not satisfied. It seemed that his freedom would not be appreciated without his wife by his side. Madison had a greater definition freedom than the reader would probably understand. His freedom not only meant independence from slavery but the ability to have his family with him and those important to him with him. I wonder if Madison already had his definition of freedom before or after he made it to Canada. If before, why not take his wife along his journey. Yet, as someone stated, Frederick Douglass probably used her as a literary figure such that the Part IV could be made possible and flow somewhat into the story line.

For this to be Frederick Douglass first fiction piece, I really enjoyed it. He covers a lot in such a short book. There were certain portions of the book that I wish he could have gone into more dept because I wanted to continue to find out more. I would like to read other books from this time period to compare his style of writing with what was considered the norm of the time. Also, I never read his narrative but that is another piece of work that I would enjoy reading. For those who read his narrative, which of the two books did you find more interesting or a better piece of writing?

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that Madison Washington's definition of freedom includes having his wife by his side, hence his return from Canada. Though Douglass may have intended to use her as a literary figure to lead to Part IV as you and other classmates have suggested, I think it also relates back to what Washington had mentioned in Part I. Washington states that gaining freedom would give himself and his wife a more promising future compared to staying in slavery where he can be sold any moment and part from her. Therefore, his wife may not only be his definition of freedom but is also his biggest motivation to gain it. Going back to your post, I think that Washington did not take his wife along during his escape because the chances of being recaptured may increase. I could only imagine that back then women are portrayed as weak and reliant on the care of men, so taking his wife along may be a burden to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I agree with what you mentioned about Madison's trip to Canada and not feeling "free". Unfortunately, the reason his wife was most likely unable to accompany him on the trip was because it was hard for both of them to escape. However, I believe that once he makes it to Canada he realizes he still isn't free. How could he be, if his wife was still enslaved? You make a good point when you mention that freedom was not just independence but that it also consisted of having ones family there. I personally felt that Douglas added the wife for several reasons-as a goo use of pathos, to add more to the story, but also to show the heart and characteristic of slaves. They were human beings like everyone else with emotions, etc. If you liked this book- which I did- I would consider reading his narrative. You will find some differences and similarities- but it's the same message- the struggle for freedom.

    ReplyDelete