Wednesday, June 9, 2010

No to Pay Off?

This has probably the fastest I have read a story this whole session. I felt the story was very humorous but also very grueling and intense. Yet for all of it, my favorite part had to be when he tries to pay the fighter, Tatlock, off to win the fight. I felt I have seen this scene in many comedy shows and movies before but to read it is just as funny. I actually had to restrain myself from laughing out loud in Davis. It is funny because he doesn't even want fight. All he wants to do is deliver his speech but they won't let him now. There is deeper questions to be answered. Why didn't he just pretend to be knocked out? Why did Tatlock not take the offer? Was it dignity or the fact he didn't want to lose to a black man? I didn't understand why that didn't happen. If he just wanted to end the fight it would be better to pretend to be knocked out. Maybe he knew last time he pretended they pulled him back up and they would do it again. Also comes to play is why Tatlock refused. I was expecting that maybe it was because of the whole race issue but then I thought, what competitor really ever wants to lose no matter they got money or not? Sure there are stories of men who throw games or fights for millions of dollars but this isn't that much money. I am just wondering is it race or just personal pride and honor that kept him saying no to pay off?

1 comment:

  1. I really found the scene with Tadlock interesting as well. I think the reasoning behind Tadlock's decision lies in his jealousy of the narrator and wanting to prove that he was the biggest and baddest. I think that Tadlock is a jealous or the narrator's giner colored, because he wants to be recognized for something as well and he wants to do it on his own term.

    ReplyDelete