Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Faulkner Reading

I hated this story. The whole time, I was waiting for the brooch to have some huge significant value like the coat, the drizzle, etc in “The Municipal Report” or have some sort of twist. However, I did enjoy the simplicity and openness of the writing - it left a lot of free room for interpretation and not too much confusion. I really liked the symbolism too - the clock, which was the most significant to me because it represent the routine and repetition of the Howard’s life; they had to say goodnight every night, take off their shoes to creep around, etc. The discussion of the brooch was also intriguing because I was waiting for it’s significant, but as we discussed, it was a symbol of the authority Mrs. Boyd had over Amy and Howard and the “choking presence” she had among them.

Overall, I think the story as a whole represented the brokenness of the family, and as Michael said, the “toxic” household which was inescapable to them. The suicide at the end where he crouches down and huddles under a coverlet represents how he had “already began to suffocate” not only literally because of the blanket, but I think his mother suffocated him to his death.

1 comment:

  1. I actually liked the story but I do agree about the brooch. I was waiting for Howard to have some type of moment where he discusses the brooch but I think that Faulkner didn't put it in their in order for the reader to make their own interpretation. I know I really get caught up in why a story or book is called a certain name and when we aren't given an answer by the end, it does get really frustrating. This storyline itself was pretty good and I really enjoyed it! But I think, as we said in class the brooch is just a symbolism of the control Mrs. Boyd used over Howard and Amy since she had no control over her body. I think if there could have been a brief reference to this in the story then I think there would be a better understanding on why this story is called "The Brooch"

    ReplyDelete