Monday, June 7, 2010

The Brooch - William Faulkner

Now this is a good story. I'm going to go through and read it again before class tomorrow, so I'll hold off on sharing my thoughts. There are, however, several points that I found interesting, and hope to talk about during discussion tomorrow:

First, there is the image of the clock. It is present a few times in the first half of the story, but then we don't get any more direct references to it in the latter half. Did anyone else find the clock significant?

Second, the characters. There are three characters that we become very familiar with during the story and a couple that either make cameos or are mentioned. What do you think about them? Is this story just a story, or does each character representative of something Faulkner is trying to convey to the reader?

Third, why do you think Mrs. Boyd hated Amy so much? Why does the narrator seem to focus on the times when Amy addresses her as "Mother?"

Lastly, what is the significance of the brooch. I have what I think is an interesting view on this, but maybe I'm crazy. Either way, I'll save it for tomorrow.

I just wanted to give you all a few points of reference as to what topics I'll try to bring up in discussion tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment